So, we just got back from camping and Sam and I got to sleep out under the stars. One night the stars were more brilliant and bright then I had ever seen. I guess becuase it has been winter and I'm always rushing to get out of the cold, I hadn't really seen the stars in months. It was wonderful just taking them in. There are so many, and I remembered being a little girl and being sure that if I had enough ambition I could count them all, but that night as I lay there looking at them I knew there was no way I could count them all. I began thinking of the events of just a week before. For those of you who don't know, Sam was in a serious accident just over a week ago. The stars definitely seem a little brighter after something like that. We've all heard the saying, 'I thank my lucky stars', and that is all we've been saying this past week is how lucky we are. (when i say lucky, i most definitely mean blessed) Looking at the stars that night and thinking of the lucky ones in my life especially the most recent ones, really made me want to at least try to count them. Like the stars I saw the other night, sometimes in your life it really seems like there are way too many to count, but like any little kid, it's some how important to try.
Lucky star #2: Sam was wearing his seatbelt, he saw the car lose control on a curve ahead of him and gave him time to slow down and move to the side of the road before they lost control again and slammed into him head on.
Lucky star #3: He was in the middle of no where, but he was taking a couple guys out to a job in Navajo Mtn. so they were following him. They came up on the wreck and were able to be there for him when other help was an hour away. Most people that stopped just wanted to find a way around the wreckage without 'hurting their new tires' as they were looking at my husband trapped in the truck, or that that they were just going to a buddy's house and couldn't turn around and try to find a way to call 911. It gave me so much comfort to know that Josh, my cousin's husband, and his friend were there for Sam, when there was literally no one else.
Lucky star #4: Sam was driving his work truck and so he had tools and Josh was able to cut Sam out of the truck. He was stuck in there an hour as it was. If it weren't for Josh and those tools he would have been stuck for another hour at the very least.
Lucky star #6: Sam never takes the cell phone to work because there is no cell service in no mans land, but that day he had taken it. The minute I stepped in the door I called the cell phone. He didn't answer, but he called me right back. He sounded so good and strong. His voice wasn't shaky. That one phone call saved me. He told me a couple days later that it was all he could do to not lose it on the phone. I was so grateful that he was strong for me when I needed it the most. I had a four hour drive ahead of me just to get to the hospital they took him to. What was already going to be the longest 4 hrs of my life would have been even longer had he lost it on the phone.
Lucky star#7: Ronnie and Tammie's daughter Shayla, who is Josh's wife, absolutely saved the day. She stayed with my girls the whole time we were gone. I didn't have to juggle the girls from person to person. I tell you, that family was meant to be there for us. No body else could have just come to my house and stayed with them that long and she was so wonderful with them.
Lucky star#8: No hesitation what so ever, my mom got off work, picked me up and took me to Tuba City and we picked up my dad on the way. I'm so grateful my parents were there for me.
Lucky star#10: Made it to Sam. Gave him a big hug and then we laughed and cried together.
Lucky star#11: A friend from Monticello just happened to be traveling through there, stopped at the hospital, and was able to help my dad give Sam a blessing. He also had a camera, so the hospital pictures are from him. I was really bummed that I had forgotten my camera.
Lucky star#12: Sam was taken care of by great doctors, nurses and EMT's. Sam had a lot of fun joking around with them all. I'm very grateful for the neurosurgeon who took care of him in Flagstaff. He was a lot of fun and I trusted him. It was really nice to have a surgeon sew up his head because he really knew what he was doing and it was a big comfort to me. The gash in his head was to the skull and required many different layers of different types of stiching. They kept him just for one night to make sure he was okay. He was diagnosed with an open skull fracture that runs from the top of his head down into the orbit of his eye. You can see why the word lucky has been used so many times in the last week and a half. I bought him a little white bear that we call the good luck bear and he sits on our bed as our little reminder.
Lucky star#13: Either he is just being tough or he's been blessed not to have significant pain. From the time of the wreck until now he has only taken a little motrin.
Lucky Star #14: Living in this community with so many close friends and family is very lucky! We received so many concerned phone calls and people offering meals left and right. We were well looked after. Sam also got an extremely thoughtful gift basket delivered to him by all of his family up north.
Lucky star #15: A week after the wreck we found out Sam had fracture in his knee. To me that is lucky because after seeing the truck and seeing how the dash was squished all the way into the seat, I was amazed that his legs weren't more seriously hurt.
I could truly, go on and on, but I'm sure I've gone on way too much already. I just feel overwhelmed with gratitude and really did want to 'thank my lucky stars'. It has been a very rough week for me but I too have been blessed with so many people looking after me. For the first few days everything scared me and worried me. Everytime I looked at him, it brought horrible flashes of an awful reality that could have been. I knew everything would be okay but I still struggled. Then there were little things like I was petrified for the first time he sneezed, worried that he'd crack his head open more. He is not suppose to blow his nose for a month, so a sneeze can't be good. I was afraid of every car on the road, thinking they would come in our lane. But through all that, I also knew that I couldn't live in fear. I already feel so much better thanks to the support of Sam and so many others. We learn and grow so much through every little and huge thing we go through. Thank you every one for letting me share!
16 comments:
Oh, Roxy! I had no idea. I'm so glad he is OK. I almost started crying reading your post because it brought back all the memories of when Bradley rolled the car. That is the worst feeling in the world to get that kind of news. I'm so thankful things worked out so well under the circumstances. I can't do a whole lot from here, but let me know if you need to talk or anything.
I hadn't heard about the accident either Roxy and I'm glad that everything is o.k. From the pictures it looks like he's pretty lucky to be alivce. I would be counting my lucky stars too. I hope that things will continue to get better.
OH Roxy, I didn't know! I wish we lived closer and could have helped too, but it sounds like you've got a lot of great people around already. I am so glad Sam is okay. Give him and the girls our love. You are amazing.
oh my gosh, i'm so happy everything turned out okay! way to hold it together, roxy! that would be very difficult, but i'm sure you being strong really helped sam feel comforted too! i don't think i would have been able to be so strong. i hope everything heals quickly, my thoughts are with you both!
Oh my goodness, We are so glad that Sam is okay. Your family must truly have guardian angels watching over you!
those pics are amazing. kyle did say that Sam looked pretty beat up - and he does! that was a great post. i'm so glad that you had some many people right there to take care of and be there for you. i don't know that i would've been as strong as you had i gotten that same news about Kyle. you are an amazing woman, roxy! love you guys!
My word, that sounds terrifying! I'm happy to hear everything turned out alright. Looking at the pictures of the truck, it seems amazing that Sam wasn't hurt worse than he was. I'm sure he's glad to be back home and in good hands. I couldn't blame you if you don't let him leave your sight for a while. It sounds like you had a lot of great help to take care of your girls and help with whatever you needed when it really counted. That's what you get for being so caring and having so many friends!
Well, As you know. I am glad he is ok as well.
We all LOVE Sam too much to lose the kid.
Unfortunately, I have to take his polished pooh jokes now. te he. Just playing.
But really Roxy, You are amazing. I would have lost it. I know it. I did before. Guess youve always been the stronger sister. And I am thankful for that!
your post made me cry. even though i have already heard the whole story i bawled like a baby. im sorry that we never stopped by to see you guys but we did think about you often. im glad that everything turned out good and you are blessed for sure.
Holy Cow, Roxy. I cannot believe that. I had no idea! I am so glad that he is okay and recovering! John and I cannot believe those photos (especially of the truck) and that he is doing as well as he is. We're thinking about you and wish we could do more!
Roxy... I am so glad to hear that Sam is okay. I had no idea about the accident, but it sounds like he most definitely was being watched over. I hope he is healing quickly and well. Please let me know if there is every anything I can do for you.
Wow, I am so shocked Roxy, I had no idea this happened. I am so glad he was okay. And you are right, so many tender mercies and blessings to count. Wowwow. I remember how i felt when my dad had a brain anurism. Your world sort of stops and you just try to keep yourself together. I hope he is doing well!
Oh yeah Roxy, i forgot to tell you...I was going around looking at homes for sale and stopped in on a model home and the sales rep behind the counter said he knows you and had a major crush on you in school. He said that all the guys were after you!! He name is Heber. Didn't get his last name...
Wow, so blessed! I'm happy that things turned out as well as they did.
oh i'm so happy for you that you got a new camera!! that's a good one, too! really, much better than what i would have sold you. MUCH better. you will be very happy with it. i'm excited to see your pictures! next time you're up here, or me and jeremy are down there, we should all go out taking pictures together. i think it would be a lot of fun :)
Wow! I had no clue all of this was going on. What a scary experience! I am so glad that Sam is ok and that you've had so much help and support through it all.
Post a Comment