Thursday, October 16, 2008

Random Stuff

So this picture doesn't really capture the adventure we had a couple weeks ago. It was a beautiful day and I decided to take the girls up to Loyd's Lake. By the time we were all ready I noticed a few grey clouds but no worries, if it rains here it's normally just a sprinkle. So we headed out. When we got there I decided to take the bike down the somewhat steep dirt road and take the girls on the trail that goes around the lake. The minute I got down to the lake it started to rain... hard. I immediately grabbed one of the plastic doggie poop bags that are provided at the beginning of the trail and tied it around my head. The girls were all cozy in their weather proofed trailer so I decided to try to make it to the pavilion on the other side to wait out the rain. Needless to say I didn't make it that far, we stopped at the first bench tucked away in the trees, I grabbed the girls and our blanket and huddled up to wait the rain out. It was really quite a beautiful view and the trees and blanket were keeping us surprisingly dry. So we sat and waited....and waited. There were no signs of it stopping and Marah was beginning to want to get down and explore. I decided we better just book it home. We set back out with girls tucked away, dry in the trailer. I struggled to even peddle the bike through the rocky mud. Mud was just splattering all over the bike trailer. You can't tell from the picture cuz all of it fell off when I got the girls out but it was truly caked. Meanwhile I'm wearing flip flops and a white shirt. The bike is flipping mud up in my face and it is just raining harder and harder. Just as I was thinking things couldn't get any worse, it began to hail! It hasn't hailed all summer, but today would be the day. I just peddled harder which just made me spin out more and spit more mud all over the place. Things can get worse and things did get worse because when I finally reached the steep hill that leads to the road, muddy water was flowing down my way out. I had no choice but to try to push our way up. There was just no traction and the girls in back were just a lot of dead weight to be pulled up the muddy hill. I was slipping, the bike was slipping and I was pretty sure I wasn't going to make it, just then what seemed to be a glowing grey truck drove slowly by. I really wanted to wave for help but was way too embarrassed. My hope drove on by but a couple minutes later, probably feeling pretty sorry for the sad sight he just witnessed, came back to the rescue. I was very relieved to see that I didn't know the person getting out of the truck considering I was drenched with a white muddy shirt, shorts and flip flops practically on my knees trying to push my two innocent little girls up the hill in a rain storm. We had no problem pushing it out and we were home free. The minute we coasted into town the rain stopped and Lily immediately asked if we could go play in the lake now that the rain stopped. All I could do was laugh. I'll take little grey clouds a little more seriously now. Anyway, sorry about the long story.



Lily was getting impatient with me and she figured her own way to reach the DVDs.
We had a late night visit from Kyle and Anna to introduce their new baby, Reggie. Immediately nicnamed 'Weggie' by Sam and Lily. Lily just can't say her 'r' very well, I don't know what Sam's excuse was. Anyway, they are already very cute parents. I love labs and I found myself being a tiny bit jealous.
Syd was staying at our house while mom and dad were up north. It was crazy hair day at school, so I had a lot of fun doing her hair. Kinda hard to tell, but it was cute and crazy.

Lily had school that day as well, so we decided to do her hair crazy too. Don't think anyone else in her preschool did but oh well.

Marah is already growing out of this funny laugh. Glad I caught a little of it on video. I doubt her 'pretty smile' will ever leave us though.


The other day during bath time Marah kept looking up the spout and saying ‘hello’. I asked her who was in there and without any hesitation she told me dad was in there. I couldn’t stop laughing, she must have remembered when he was under the house fixing the drain. He would yell up at us every once in a while, Marah must have thought he was in the drains. I love the way little children experience the world, Lily thinking her foot was on fire because she experienced it falling asleep for the first time, now Marah is sure her plumber dad is in the pipes. Dad is never really gone, he just lives in the pipes. I love it! This video doesn't catch the moment very well. She was too interested in the camera. She kept looking up there, saying hello, and yelling for dad.

5 comments:

Katie said...

My goodness, your kids are just too funny! I love the stack of books Lily was standing on, Marah's "pretty smile," and thinking Dad is in the pipes. Kids are hilarious! Didn't mind your long story at all...sounds like you had quite the adventure on your bike ride. Glad you survived and just think, you came away with a great story to tell!

Lovely Lisa said...

I'm glad you lived to tell about your adventure in the rain! That's crazy. Your kids are adorable, and I love how Lily has pipe in with her two cents. Such an oldest child thing to do. :)

Jenni said...

Yeah, you're pretty much a buff woman. It's fun to see pics of your family and life in Monticello. It looks like you are all very happy.

Katie said...

I love that bike story! I swear I never got into situations like that before I got kids, and now it seems like I am in a constant state of humiliation. It doesn't even have to be thier fault, I just do things trying to be a "fun mom" and it turns into an adventure. Thanks for sharing.

Haggle said...

HAHAHAH
your marah is funny

I just love your kids...